Having the piercing may be cool, but research shows it can cause serious health problems.
Tongue and lip piercing can lead to teeth fracture, bone loss and gum recession. Constantly playing with a lip piercing can create gums bleeding and teeth enamel fractures. A more severe problem can be permanent damage of the lip or tongue nerves. Oral piercing is as well a potential risk factor for the transmission of herpes simplex virus, hepatitis B and C, and HIV.
Tongue piercing can result in difficulty chewing and swallowing food and speaking clearly.
Jewelry that becomes loose in the mouth can become a choking hazard and, if swallowed, can result in injury to the digestive track or lungs.
So think twice before having an oral piercing done!